2-Yard Dumpsters for Workplace Waste Handling
What size dumpsters do you need to handle all your workplace waste without overspending or taking up too much valuable space? While large steel dumpsters are typically designed for heavy-duty waste applications, many small businesses can get by with a smaller, more manageable unit — and 2-yard dumpsters are often the best choice.
As long as they match your waste-generation capacity, 2-yard dumpsters have a lot of advantages over their larger counterparts (and that’s especially true when you choose plastic dumpsters https://solusgrp.com/blog/post/plastic-dumpsters-for-facility-waste-management.html over heavy, unwieldy, and rust-prone steel). Benefits of smaller dumpsters include:
- Safer handling, both for manually repositioning mobile plastic dumpsters and when being emptied by collection trucks or on-site Bin Dumpers.
- Smaller footprints, freeing space for revenue-generating tasks or simply more parking.
- Greater compatibility with mobile material handling equipment; ideal for high-throughput outdoor waste handling, as at parks and events.
- Can be used indoors much more easily than 10-, 20-, or 30-yard dumpsters (or larger!)
- More flexibility of placement; 2-yard dumpsters fit into tight alleys or between dumpsters, and they’re unobtrusive in a small corner of the loading dock.
Are 2-yard dumpsters right for your business?
Typically, 2-yard dumpsters are perfect as single-point waste collection sites for small businesses as well as waste consolidation points for larger facilities. Businesses that typically obtain the benefits of 2-yard dumpsters include:
- Food Service: Small restaurants, diners, and cafes
- Retail: Corner stores, bodegas, and boutiques
- Commercial Property: Offices supporting up to 20 or so employees
- Industrial Facilities: Use for multiple waste consolidation points on large campuses
- Parks and Outdoor Venues: Choose Mobile Garbage Bins to create a waste-handling train
This last example requires a bit of explanation. First off, we need to differentiate between a stationary dumpster and a mobile dumpster fitted with heavy-duty casters. Solus Group offers 1.5-yard — or 290-gallon — mobile plastic dumpsters designed to travel. (It’s not a 2-yard dumpster, but it’s close — and with a total weight capacity of 970 pounds, often exceeds the carrying limits of comparable 2-yard models.) This combination of high capacity and mobility allows users to create a waste-handling train, consisting of an electric tugger, one or more mobile dumpsters, and a rolling Bin Dumper. A single operator can then travel to garbage bins scattered all across the property, safely emptying them into the rolling dumpsters with the Bin Dumper. In other words, it’s a Turnkey Waste Handling Solution — and it only takes one employee to operate. Such advantages simply aren’t available with larger dumpsters.
How much waste does a 2-yard dumpster hold?
By definition, a 2-yard dumpster can hold up to 2 cubic yards of waste at a time. What does that look like in more familiar terms? Here are some other ways to picture the capacity of a 2-yard dumpster:
- Two cubic yards equals 54 cubic feet of waste
- A full 33-gallon trash bag occupies about 4.4 cubic feet
- A 2-yard dumpster can hold about 12 full 33-gallon trash bags
- Weight limits vary by model; as mentioned above, 1.5-yard plastic dumpsters from Solus Group offer a larger capacity of 970 pounds
If you need to manage up to a dozen fully loaded 33-gallon trash bags per collection cycle, the 2-yard dumpster is ideal. To learn more about choosing waste bins and other waste-handling equipment for workplace use, read our guide to industrial trash cans here.
Ready to streamline your facility’s waste-handling processes? Browse Solus Group’s collection of Bin Dumpers and Bins today.